Monday, February 14, 2011

I'm really glad to find out that Radiohead's new album is to be released (via digital download) this Saturday, because it gives me something positive to write about. You see, I was going to write about what a farce the Grammys are, and always have been (fun fact: Milli Vanilli won a Grammy before Bob Dylan did!), but now I don't have to. But before I leave the subject entirely, let me posit the following: the Grammys are about money, not music. They have about as much relevance, for someone serious about music, as does American Idol, which is to say, none.
OK, back to The King of Limbs (that's the title), because it's such a cool thing to have a great band at the height of their powers that can generate tremendous excitement with a forthcoming release. I was pretty young during the Beatles years, but I do remember how it seemed like their every move was an event. And then there were the many rock acts during the seventies who made me anticipate their new stuff. The Clash, Bowie, Queen, Neil Young, to name a few. Now, there are two: the chaps from Oxford mentioned above, and Wilco, who will be releasing their next album later this year. So, in celebration, here are "The Tourist" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAXRKPGKXWs) and "War on War" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-b37qFXvZw)

No comments:

Post a Comment