Monday, February 21, 2011

Further to yesterday's post on The King of Limbs: with a few more listens it's become apparent that not all of the tracks are as complex as "Bloom", "Little By Little", or "Lotus Flower". In fact, "Codex" and "Give Up the Ghost" are, by Radiohead's standards, fairly straightforward, with the former showing clearly some of the influence of Neil Young on both Yorke's singing and writing. So the point that I made yesterday, about how this will be a difficult album for those who cover Radiohead, may not apply to all of its songs equally. In any event, I always enjoy hearing people do the songs, mainly because they help me to hear even more deeply into the complexity of the original versions. So I hope that I'm wrong, and that there will be many more covers to come in every style we've heard in the past, from reggae to string quartet, solo piano to small jazz ensemble, and in some we haven't yet. Let The King of Limbs reign!

No comments:

Post a Comment