Saturday, February 19, 2011

I don't have many nice things to say about music videos for the most part, but in fairness, there are some good ones. And a big point in their favour is the fact that it was the Beatles who really started the idea with their "pop promotional films" for "Day Tripper", "Help!", "Paperback Writer" and "Rain" amongst others. At that point, they were quite simply too big to tour (particularly since the knowledge regarding how to do it properly on such a scale was still about ten years away), so basically they invented the music video instead. And these ones are still a lot of fun to watch, my favourite being this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPjDMZiuhbQ&feature=related.
I'll mention a few more of these in posts to come, but first I must admit that my favourite music video of all time is not by the Beatles. In fact, it's not even by a group that I've listened to very much (my loss, certainly, because when I do hear their music, I very much enjoy it): It's the Flying Pickets with the only number one a cappella pop hit ever (unless I'm mistaken), their cover of Yaz's "Only You": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgDKtLPp46s.

No comments:

Post a Comment