Sunday, December 12, 2010

One of the coolest tributes to another artist that I've ever seen was done by Wilco when they backed up Neil Young at Montreal's Bell Centre in December of 2008. And as opposed to simply covering one of his songs, which would have been fine but a much more obvious way of doing it, they chose from their own repertoire the songs that seemed to be the most clearly influenced by the great songwriter. Among them were some of the best songs from what I consider to be their greatest album, Sky Blue Sky (2007), including "Hate it Here" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkIgSMOJeOs) and "You Are My Face" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0O89XxpLOg). Give them a listen and I think you'll hear what I mean right away. Then, if you haven't already, listen to the whole album.
(I should also mention that the next time I saw them, in February of this year, they did a rousing medley of "Mr. Soul" and "Broken Arrow", which can also be heard on YouTube. I won't link it though, because I've yet to find one that sounds very good. Please let me know if you do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment