Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I think it would be a fair statement to say that a very considerable percentage of the greatest rock groups were racially integrated. I've written about a couple of them already - Sly and the Family Stone and the Jimi Hendrix Experience, specifically - and I'll continue with some others in the days ahead. For today, I'll just mention the Del-Vikings (what a name! and nobody's sure of its origin either), the doo-wop quintet formed in Pittsburgh who created what some have called the greatest rock and roll record, "Come Go with Me" in 1957. I'm not sure I would go quite that far, but I do know this: I can't listen to it without smiling (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1eU_lDQaVM), which brings to mind the philosopher, Herbert Spencer saying that music was the highest of the arts because, more than any other, it "ministers to human welfare".

No comments:

Post a Comment