Monday, March 14, 2011

Great news for Steely Dan fans: another big tour is happening this summer (info: http://www.steelydan.com/). By my count, it'll be their eighth of the twenty-first century. Who would have guessed that the studio-centric duo of the seventies would turn into millennial road warriors? Not me, but I'm certainly glad that it's happened. I've seen them a few times over this time, and it's always a treat. I think that the aspect that I enjoy the most is the fact that they haven't compromised their commitment to musicianship and all-around technical excellence in any way just for the sake of getting a show on the road. Their concerts are always on the vanguard of what can be accomplished in popular music. Their records too, come to think of it. In fact, I don't think that they've been given enough credit in this area, by which I mean their contributions in terms of expanding the possibilities of what popular music in recording - and more recently, in performance - can sound like. For that alone, they should be appreciated. On top of that, of course, is the greatness of their song-craft, both lyrically and musically. If you get half a chance, go see them this summer, to say thanks. Here's "Pearl of the Quarter" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC8_KGHbrOI) one of my favourites from the early days.

No comments:

Post a Comment