Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Even more than "Good Vibrations", "Sail On Sailor", or "God Only Knows", the song that best represents everything that's great about the Beach Boys is "Don't Worry Baby". Reasons? 1. It shows the way their music was grounded in the sounds and techniques of the fifties and yet it still sounds fresh today. 2. The singing is awesome. It might be the best vocal performance of Brian Wilson's career. 3. The lyrics can stand shoulder to shoulder with any Chuck Berry tune (and he was one of their primary models, of course) in its depiction of the minefield that teenage life can be. In this case, the narrator has to face a street race brought on this way: "I guess I should have kept my mouth shut when I started to brag about my car/ But I can't back down now because I pushed the other guys too far". 4. Even by Brian Wilson standards, it's got a beautiful melody. Here's a link to the best-sounding version I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9E1by7PocE&feature=related.

No comments:

Post a Comment