Saturday, March 5, 2011

David Bowie has very good taste in David Bowie music. I mention this because tomorrow I'm going to undertake the daunting (but fun) task of choosing my top ten Bowie tunes, and my list is going to have a significant amount of overlap with the one he made for his 2008 release, iSelect, which was comprised of his personal favourites, many of which are mine too, as you'll see.
One tune that is certainly among my most frequent Bowie listens, but which won't be on the list (because I'll choose from his originals only), is "Wild Is the Wind", a cover of a film song by Dimitri Tiomkin, with lyrics by Ned Washington (who also penned the words to "Stella by Starlight", "Green Dolphin Street" and "My Foolish Heart") which can be found on his 1976 masterpiece, Station to Station. Bowie's vocal performance, a frequently underrated aspect of his music, evokes the subject matter perfectly, and the band is terrific, as well. Check it out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cSAKlu0OlU), and tune in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment