Saturday, August 28, 2010

Before writing about my favourite concert film tomorrow, I wanted to write a short post about the great musical taste of its director, Martin Scorsese. It seems like music has been a major source of inspiration for his remarkable career, and he has used it to great effect in all of his movies (the ones I've seen anyway). Here are a few that come to mind immediately: 1. The undervalued The Last Temptation of Christ (1988), which features a compelling Peter Gabriel soundtrack. 2. The recent psychological thriller, Shutter Island (2010), where the music is astonishing throughout, with a soundtrack that includes compositions by Penderecki, Cage, Ligeti, Brian Eno and others, but one scene in particualar is rendered unforgettable by the use of Mahler's Quartet for Strings and Piano in A Minor. 3. The crime story, The Departed (2006) which, like so many of his films, makes memorable use of thoughtful rock selections, but which earned my eternal gratitude for bringing "Sail On, Sailor", one of my favourite Beach Boys' songs, back to my attention. Of course, I haven't even mentioned his brilliant music documentaries or concert films yet. That'll be tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment