Monday, July 5, 2010

Further to yesterday's discussion of Ian Hunter, the lyrics to "Irene Wilde" from All-American Alien Boy (1976) are both straightforward and profound. It's a story of early rejection, sorrow and eventually, resolution. Yesterday, I mentioned Hunter's honesty. Here's an example: according to what I've heard, Irene Wilde is the real name of the person involved (hence: "Smile through your shock/ As you hear your name aloud"). Like many of his words and opinions, this decision may leave us uncertain as to whether we like him at that particular moment, but the fact that he makes the honest choice (not simply the one that puts him in the best light) is a large reason for the longevity of his work. Ultimately, the song leaves the listener with a useful thought: "And I think most folks agree/ A little put-down makes them see/ They ain't no chain, they're just a link/ And that's why you made me think/ I'm gonna be somebody, someday". I hope every teenager hears this song.
The album's title track was about a more recent upheaval in the singer's life: his move to America. It deals with culture shock, bewilderment and more. (It also contains one of the more sophisticated political comments found in a rock song: "Don't wanna vote for the left wing/ Don't wanna vote for the right/ I gotta have both/ To make me fly". The sophistication comes from the realization that maybe a system with opposition and debate, rather than one party having all the power, is most likely to produce freedom - radical as that may sound to some.) The song ends with lists of all types of Americana in a very funny Dylanesque ramble. It also features one of the greatest solos ever put on a rock record by the incomparable bassist, Jaco Pastorius, as well as stirring contributions from David Sanborn on sax, and Gerry Weens on guitar. But throughout the song and album, it's Hunter's intellectual and emotional honesty that sets the tone. Musically and lyrically, it's a great album. Listen to it, and read the words.
There is some debate as to whether Mott the Hoople ever realized their potential in the studio - their reputation as a live act was immense. I can't comment: I've never seen them, but I do like their albums, a lot. My favourite is the one called Mott (1973) as it contains some of their best and most poignant songs. Two lyrics stand out for me, both dealing with life as a rock and roller: "All the Way from Memphis" and "The Ballad of Mott the Hoople". The songs show Hunter's ambivalent feelings about his life and career choices, but ultimately he comes to an understanding, of a sort: "Rock and roll's a loser's game/ It mesmerizes and I can't explain/ The reason for the sights and for the sounds/ But still the greasepaint sticks to my face/ So what the hell, I can't erase/ The rock and roll feeling from my mind". His music has kept that feeling in the minds of many.

No comments:

Post a Comment