Saturday, September 18, 2010

A short note today to tell you what I'll be posting on in the next little bit. I haven't written much about punk, particularly the American variety - so upcoming will be some thoughts on the MC5, The Velvet Underground, The Ramones, The Replacements, and perhaps more. Tonight, I'll be going to see The Bad Plus, who could perhaps be categorized as jazz-punk. (If I ever meet one of them, I'll try to get their OK for this.) Obviously, their virtuosity precludes them from being considered as real punkers - Paul Robinson, singer of The Diodes, once told me that for him a punk band has to learn to play together - but their confrontational, anti-style attitude puts them in the honourary category, for me anyway. Also, they've covered songs by The Pixies, Blondie, Nirvana, Wilco... I'll be writing about their new album, Never Stop, and tonight's concert in the days ahead, as well. (Suggested listening: "Physical Cities", "Everywhere You Turn")

No comments:

Post a Comment