Wednesday, June 30, 2010

There are many reasons to listen to Steely Dan, and today I'll be giving you one of them. On June 24, I suggested listening to Jim Hall's guitar comping on the recording of "I've Got You Under My Skin" that he did with Bill Evans. In trying to describe it, I mentioned the concept of chord voicings, which is central to the art of jazz guitarists and pianists. The movement of the accompaniment is a large part of the feeling of openness and freedom in jazz music. It is too seldom heard in rock music, where often the same voicing is played in a monotonous manner (but to be fair, that approach is often necessary to its energy and drive). One rock song where the creative use of voicings can be heard is "Hey Nineteen", from Gaucho (1980). There are two guitar tracks as well as an electric piano, and I'm not sure who plays what (there are at least six guitarists and over forty musicians on the album), but it's a real treat to listen to. As Becker and Fagen always seem to do, they incorporate the best aspects of jazz (and soul and reggae and other genres as well) into their rock and roll. I'll be writing much more about them in the days ahead. In the meantime, if you haven't attentively listened to this song and album, you've got something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment